25 March 2015

Physics, Energy, Waves, Sounds, and... Einstein

I discovered recently that Albert Einstein had a keen interest in music.

I guess it should not have surprised me given his view of the universe.  Matter, energy, and light are all part of a grand equation hinting at their interrelated nature.  His deductions of the outwardly observable universe helped us understand the nature of waves and their role in carrying energy.

What travels in waves? Light, sound, heat, microwave, tides, infrared, X-ray, ultraviolet light, television & radio signals, and seismic energy to name a few. Most significantly to us, because of human limitations to perceiving wave energy -  music. 

"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music." 

Matter (the physical world), as suggested by Einstein and as we have come to understand it, has a unique relationship with sound. Sound and light (light expressed as 'c' in the E=mc(^2) equation), are perhaps different manifestations of the same energy.  Light waves are more easily manipulated than we once thought.

Consider the amount of energy required to shatter glass through kinetic means versus the amount of energy coming from a little speaker playing the right note.  Resonant tones have the ability to affect bonds at a molecular level - something even civil engineering must account for.

So what frequencies and sounds affect humans? Well, obviously music as we commonly understand it plays a huge role in our lives and moods. But what sounds affect us on this material level that Einstein and physics hints at.  Here's a fascinating theory which attempts to answer that question

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, please share something here...